Monday, September 24, 2007

September 22

Today there was an event called Night of the Museums (La nuit des Musées.) People could pay 10 francs and go to any museum in town, which is quite a deal because some of the museums cost 10 francs themselves. This went on from 2 pm until 2 am or something crazy like that. Also, public transportation was free all day, although I have a pass so it didn't really matter for me. I visited the museums with my friend from Iowa State. I think we ended up going to like 6 or 7 museums. It was a lot of fun, but I was beat afterwards.
When you paid the 10 francs, you were given a bright yellow necktie, and this became the ticket into the museums. It was pretty awesome. It was interesting to see the different ways that people were wearing their ties. I felt like emo or punk or something wearing a necktie. I'm glad I knew about the Night of the Museums, because otherwise I would have been very confused by the neckties.
There were also concerts from 10 pm until 4 am, but I decided not to go. Maybe it would have been a good way to meet people, but I didn't want to have to walk home by myself that late. I know that there is a late night bus, similar to Ames' Moonlight Express (it's called the Pyjama,) but I really don't know how it works or where it goes or anything like that. I should figure that out before I decide to stay out late.
I got hit on today by a guy at one of the bus stops. We were sitting, waiting for the bus, and this guy asked us if we were from England. We made small talk about being students here and things like that. Then he told me I was really pretty, and that I should go out and get something to drink with him, and then I could practice speaking French. Apparently, offering to practice speaking french is the way that guys here try to pick up foreign girls. A different guy, who ironically enough was named Romeo, tried to pick my friend up at the metro stop earlier the same day with the same line. I told this guy that I'd only practice with him if my friend came along too. I don't think he really liked that idea, which was fine with me.

No comments: